Well, shortly after I posted that Elise passed her car seat check I went back up to the NICU for her afternoon feeding. She was alert for the first bit of her feeding and drank her smaller bottle with her kidney medicine quite quickly. (They separate out a small amount of milk to mix with the medicine since the medicine tastes yicky and so that they ensure she gets all of the medicine if she doesn't finish her whole bottle.) Then she had a small amount of her main bottle before starting to get really sleepy.
Just as I was about to take her bottle out to burp her to (a) see if she had any air to get out and (b) try to wake her up a bit, she coughed a small cough and stopped breathing. I put her in the position to begin moderate stimulation just as her monitors started beeping at the really loud level (there's a basic beep where they're just a bit under or over what the machine thinks they should be at and then there's a really loud beep when they get really out of range). I patted her vigorously and squeezed her sides like they've trained us to do, but she just wasn't coming back. The nurse came and picked her up and tried doing moderate stimulation as well, but Elise just wasn't responding.
At that point, the nurse put her in her bed. She didn't appear to have anything in her mouth and was rapidly turning purple so the nurse grabbed the oxygen and started giving it to Elise. When she still didn't respond, the nurse called to one of the doctors who happened to be in the next room. He and another nurse came running over. Elise was then a very deep shade of purple (much darker than the last time I was there for one of these bigger spells) and completely non-responsive. Just as the doctor went to do whatever it was he was going to do, she started to respond. It still took her some time to come out of it, and the mdoctor put the oxygen back on when they thought she was slipping into the spell again but she didn't stop breathing fully again. She just did quick shallow breaths for a while before regulating. After she was seeming to be completely done with the spell, I held her for a little over an hour. This time I didn't make it to the car before crying...I just held her and prayed and cried.
We are so thankful that these spells are happening in the hospital and not at home. Should she have one like this at home, we would have to do CPR and she would then need to be readmitted anyway so we want her to take her time in growing before coming home. Her doctor for today was on call last night so she had left when this happened, but the nurse documented the spell and the doctor who came over will talk with her doctor about the spell tomorrow. When the nurse asked me how I felt about it, I told her that we definitely want to wait at least another 4-5 days to ensure she doesn't have another big spell. I'm not sure we'd be ready even then because we really want to make sure (or as sure as we can be) that this isn't going to happen at home.
So that's the news. Please continue to pray for our little girl. She's trying so hard and seems to just need more time.